TAKING ADVANTAGE OF FRESH SUMMER FRUIT AND VEGGIES

Don't you just love summer time!  Besides being able to enjoy fresh air and sunshine (well hopefully most of the time), camping trips, running through sprinklers. having campfires and more we also get to indulge in many fruits and veggies in season and being able to buy them fresh and local.   The quality and variety of the local products  really exceeds what you find in a conventional grocery store.  When we do shop at buy fresh food locally we are putting money directly back into the local economy and the produce is fresher.   Eat what is in season right now.  It is not only cheaper but tastes amazing.  Of course what is in season depends on where you live but generally speaking here is a list of what is in season in June and July (and I am sure I am missing some): 

Fruit
  • strawberries
  • cantaloupe
  • watermelon
  • raspberries
  • cherries
  • blueberries
  • peaches
  • kiwi
  • apricots
  • plums
  • of course bananas seem to pretty much always be in season
Vegetables
  • corn
  • lettuce
  • cucumbers
  • tomatoes
  • green beans
  • summer squash
Wow, I am making myself hungry.  Doesn't this list just make your mouth water :)  it is a great idea for you to can some of your favorite fruits or vegetables during the months that they're cheap.  So stock up while you can.  Summer is a great time to make jam too.  My family loves strawberry and raspberry jam and it is healthier to make it yourself plus you get the added bonus of knowing there aren't any bugs in your jam when you make it yourself :)  We all know there are some smashed up bugs in those jars in the grocery store.  Yuck!  I worked in the berry fields enough in my youth to know what goes in there.  Of course I am not saying that little ol' me let a bug or 2 go by me on the berry belt just because it was too big and nasty to touch, I would never do that :)  Ahhh, fond memories.  I also buy extra berries to freeze and have year round for my smoothies.  I can't believe how many berries I go through.  I have a smoothie every single day and they just need berries to taste good.

Ok, time for me to get a snack.  

 

Author

Written by Admin

Aliquam molestie ligula vitae nunc lobortis dictum varius tellus porttitor. Suspendisse vehicula diam a ligula malesuada a pellentesque turpis facilisis. Vestibulum a urna elit. Nulla bibendum dolor suscipit tortor euismod eu laoreet odio facilisis.

1 comment:

  1. Our farmers markets are overflowing with yummy fruits and vegetables right now. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete